Sunday 24 August 2014

W is for Waffles

When I noted that today is Waffle Day, I baulked.  I have quite a large number of gadgets in my kitchen as I have the space and I like them (like father, like daughter).

But I wasn't going to buy a waffle machine.  Years ago my parents used to own a toastie maker which would churn out grilled cheese sandwiches on a Sunday for tea.  They were amazing (apart from burning the top of your mouth every time), but the machine cleaning post cheese heaven was not so fun.  You had to clean it while it was still warm so the melted fat didn't set but not too hot to burn fingers.  It was a right pain!

And waffle machines are in the same camp as far as I'm concerned.  Great if someone else owns one, but one's not going to live a rancid life in my cupboards.  Especially since I came across the recipe for one that could be made in a griddle pan!

Half an hour later and I'm having to use the picture from Jamie Oliver's site as the waffle smelled so good as it came out the pan and was inhaled so quickly, there wasn't anything left to photograph.


Gather:
  • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
  • 300 mls (whole) milk
  • 225 gms self raising flour
  • 2 teaspns baking powder
  • Pinch of salt
  • 100 gms butter, melted and allowed to cool
  • Extra butter to grease the pan

Then...
  1. Whisk the eggs and the milk together
  2. Sift in the flour, baking powder and salt
  3. Once combined, add in the 100 gms melted butter and gently fold it in
  4. Do not whisk any more or else you'll have stodgy waffles
  5. Put the pan on a high heat and grease it with the extra butter
  6. Pour in the batter and swirl it around gently until it's covered the pan base
  7. Turn down the heat to allow the mixture to start to set without burning on the bottom
  8. Cook for 6 mins until it's golden brown on the bottom
  9. Flip the waffle on the other side and cook for a further 6 mins or so*
  10. Flip the waffle again and cook for another min or so and then back onto the other side for another min
  11. Serve with your desired topping of bacon/maple syrup/eggs or berries/crème fraîche

* We flipped it onto a plate and slide it back in to the pan the other way up.

No comments:

Post a Comment